Code Enforcement


The Code Enforcement unit promotes, maintains, and enforces ordinances and laws to preserve, protect, and enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Branson. Code Enforcement efforts are pivotal in preventing, monitoring, and resolving conditions in the environment that pose a threat or that may be detrimental to the health and well-being of residents and visitors.

Currently, we have three Code Enforcement officers for the City of Branson. The city is split into geographic zones and each officer is assigned a zone. Officers are responsible for any commercial and residential complaints and inspections in their respective zones.  

Code Enforcement Process


Code Enforcement officers conduct routine inspections within the city. While routine inspections sometimes identify violations, most of our violations are reported by concerned citizens. Citizens can report potential violations here.


If an officer observes a violation during a routine inspection or through a report from a fellow citizen, we notify the property owner and tenant (if there is one) in different ways:

    A personal visit with the occupant/tenant/manager if they are on site. 

    A phone call or email message.

    A door hanger notifying them of the violation.

    A mailed letter to the owner of the property. 


The property is then re-inspected between 7 and 14 business days, depending on the violation. If the violation continues to exist, the Code Enforcement officer does everything in their power to work with the property owner /tenant on the violation that needs to be corrected.


If the owner/tenant fails to work with Code Enforcement, a citation is written, and a summons is issued to the responsible party. This responsible party must appear in court. As this violation is considered a criminal charge. The judge may grant the defendant more time to correct the issue, issue a fine, or give the city permission to hire a contractor to correct the code violation.

This can be a long process. Depending on the violation, it can take between 90-180 days or longer before the violation is resolved.

Take Pride in your Neighborhood

Take care of your property and keep it up to code.

The first step in taking care of your property is meeting the minimum standards for properties set forward by the Branson Municipal Code (BMC) and International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC). Violations can result in fines or property owners being invoiced for abatement to resolve the issue. For more on code requirements, please review the Branson Municipal Code or contact the Code Enforcement unit. Well maintained properties make your neighbors happy and improve the quality of your neighborhood

Encourage your neighbors to follow suit.

If you notice something isn't right on your neighbor’s property, a simple conversation can create motivation to change. 

Escalate violations as needed.

To report code violations or report a suspected nuisance violation – Nuisance Violation Online Form

Common Residential Violations

Below you will find a list of the ten most common residential violations:

  1. Address numbers missing from residence (IPMC 304.3 (F))
  2. Grass, weeds in excess of 7" (BMC 58-294 (D)(1))
  3. Rubbish / garbage / rodent harborage (IPMC 308.1)
  4. Prohibited open storage (appliances, parts, rubbish, debris) (BMC 58-294 (g) and IMPC 302.1)
  5. Inoperable / dismantled vehicles (BMC 58-294)
  6. Vehicle parking causing yard/tree damage (BMC 58-294)
  7. Protective covering or treatment (IPMC 304.2)
  8. Accessory structures not maintained (garages, decks, shed, fences, etc.) (IPMC 302.7)
  9. Open and vacant structures
  10. Swimming pools w/o an effective barrier/enclosure (IPMC 303.2)

Branson Municipal Codes, click here for Municode

How You Can Help

There are several ways you can be active in your neighborhood. If you believe there might be a violation in your neighborhood, please report it, and we'll investigate.

Be patient. We try to respect the property owner's right to take care of his/her property, and sometimes that can be difficult for everyone involved. We also allow due process rights to give people reasonable time to address their concerns without having to take them to court.


What is the Code Enforcement Unit?

The Code Enforcement Division of the Community Development Department is responsible for enforcing the city's ordinances to ensure that all structures and uses comply with the applicable standards and permit requirements adopted by the Board of Alderman. These standards are intended to maintain public health, safety, and welfare while protecting community values and natural resources.

The Code Enforcement Unit is primarily responsible for enforcing Chapter 18 and 58 of the municipal code as well as the International Property Maintenance code that has been adopted by the Board of Alderman. 

How do I report a potential violation?

A complaint may be filed by phone, in person, or by completing an online form. Click here to report a violation.

What happens if a violation is found on my property?

If, after the investigation, enforcement staff determines that a violation exists on your property, the enforcement staff will issue a Notice and Order to you as the property owner. This indicates the nature of the violation, and how to correct the problem. The Notice and Order will provide a specific time frame for the property owner and identifies issues needed to be corrected to bring the property into compliance as well as the contact information of the enforcement staff assigned.

What if I disagree with the Notice and Order determined by staff?

If you disagree with the Notice and Order determination made by staff, you will need to contact enforcement staff to provide information as to why you believe their finding is incorrect.  Staff will review the information, and if staff agrees, the enforcement case may be closed at that time.  

What if I can't meet the timeframes outlined in the Notice and Order?

You may request an extension to the Notice of Order. The request must be submitted to the assigned staff in writing, and before the end of the expiration date on the Notice. Your request must detail why you can't meet the timeframes and provide an estimated timeframe when you expect to be able to meet it. Your request will be reviewed by the Unit supervisor and approved/denied as appropriate.

What if I disagree with a summons I received?

If you disagree with the summons issued, you will need to attend a court hearing in Branson Municipal Court. That court date and location will be listed on your summons or subpoena. For specific information on a summons, please wait ten (10) days from the violation date in order for the summons to be processed by the prosecutor and court. Click here for further information on the Branson Municipal Court. 

What is Citizenserve and how do I use it?

Citizenserve is an online program that facilitates applying for permits and licenses for development and construction services, code complaints, temporary signs, garage sales, building permits, lodging inspections, and special events permits. To access the City of Branson’s online portal click here. You will need to register for a free account to access this service. Once you have an account you will be able to apply for permits, schedule inspections, and check the status of cases.   

Lodging Establishments are required to be inspected yearly. 

Lodging establishments are required to be inspected yearly by Code Enforcement, Fire Department, and Health Department in order to obtain or renew their business license. These inspection requests are scheduled through Citizenserve. If a property has to be reinspected by Code Enforcement there is a fee charged for each reinspection. The current fee is $94.00 for each reinspection site visit.